Singer R-Kelly who is currently in jail for molesting underaged girls has been denied bail despite an outbreak of coronavirus in his prison.
The 53-year-old singer is currently locked up and awaiting trial at MCC Chicago where an outbreak of COVID-19 has occured.
In figures provided by the Bureau of Prisons on Wednesday, there are 500 positive-testing inmates, 298 positive-testing staff members and 17 deaths.
As of Monday, 23 inmates at MCC have tested positive for COVID-19.
Kelly’s legal team described the centre as a ‘petri dish’ and asked he be removed for his safety.
According to TMZ, Judge Ann Donnelly said that while she acknowledged the virus had spread to the facility, Kelly’s motion for release on bond did not present enough evidence that he was likely to contract the deadly virus.
Kelly’s lawyer had told the judge he was in a vulnerable position after an inmate on his floor was hospitalised with coronavirus.
The lawyer also insisted Kelly was very likely to return as he had turned up to previous court hearings and owes nearly $2million to the Internal Revenue Service. However, the appeal was denied.
It’s not the first time Kelly has attempted to be granted early release from jail.
The singer made another request last month again over fears of catching coronavirus but a judge ruled the risk was too high to let him go.